This Week In Stupid
A vehicular theme this week, plus a pistol-packin' mama, really expensive lettuce, an unfortunate time for a heart attack, and stoned dogs?
- Two suspects were being held for questioning as of Tuesday after somebody rammed a rental van into the front of a fur store and tried to rob the place. Someone had already stolen over 60 furs from the store on Saturday, but this time the would-be robbers were foiled by an off-duty police officer inside.
- On Tuesday, authorities tested the bodies of the three pit bulls who attacked two children in McHenry County last week for marijuana, even though animal control officials said it wasn't likely to affect their behavior. Police found five marijuana plants growing in the dogs' owner's back yard.
- A woman in Western Springs was arrested Tuesday after she was caught carrying a 9mm when she picked up her child from school. The woman's husband tipped off police.
- Also on Tuesday, a city Streets and Sanitation worker rammed his car into a city office building and set it on fire because he was going to be fired from his job.
- A woman who worked at a hospital serving the Cook County Jail was awarded $9,700 Tuesday for medical bills and worker's compensation. She had slipped on a piece of lettuce at work two years ago and now suffers from a bulging disc in her back.
- A South Side man was found dead hanging by his jacket from a second story window of his apartment Thursday night. Police say he had locked himself out, tried to use a ladder to enter his apartment through the window, slipped and fell, then suffered a heart attack.