By Rachelle Bowden in News on Feb 9, 2006 3:15AM
- Over a hundred people who ate at the Drake last weekend got sick from food contaminated with a norovirus that caused both technicolor yawning and Hershey squirting. Double whammy!
- The Shubert Theater is getting redone and then it will become the LaSalle Bank Theater. Wonder who's footing the bill for that makeover.
- Did you know that the firefighter sliding pole was invented in Chicago? And also that the snorkel was invented here? A group of retired firefighters and fire buffs are putting together a Fire Museum of Greater Chicago.
- The book Devil in the White City has prompted the office of tourism to create a new neighborhood tour in Jackson Park.
- "Roommate Wanted: Non-women of Color NEED NOT APPLY." Or how about, "African Americans and Arabians tend to clash with me so that won't work out." Or, "Requirements: Clean Godly Christian Male." You guessed it: Craigslist ads. A local fair housing group has sued Craigslist for publishing discriminatory ads and is trying to hold online classified sites to the same standards as publishers of print classifieds.
- Morgan Park High School posted world-class AP results with more African-American kids passing their AP exams in 2 courses there than at any other high school in the nation.
- Guess who gets the job of rebranding Macy's later this year? A Chicago ad agency. We've got to get someone in there, undercover, to sabotage.
Photo of Belmont platform via abmarfia.