The Chicagoist will be launching later but in the meantime please enjoy our archives.

Looking for <3

By Shannon in News on Oct 15, 2006 2:00PM

Admit it. You’ve got a secret (or not-so-secret) nerdy streak. You long for your old Atari or Genesis that your parents heartlessly ditched at in the process of cleaning out their basement. You’re familiar with segfaults and/or gelatinous cubes. You have wet dreams about the Cthulhu mythos. You’ve memorized 90% of the entire Simpsons catalog (the other 10% being the new epis and therefore don’t count), and you can’t wait for Kraftwerk to come back to town.

But not everyone feels confident enough to let their inner geek shine. Any gamemaster worth his/her salt can tell you a good nerd is hard to find. Thank Kodos for Nerds at Heart, a meet-and-greet service for the local anti-social crowd. If anyone needs a scene that takes the pressure out of dating, it’s nerds. Nerds at Heart has held numerous events in the past, and another one is coming up on Tuesday, Oct. 24. It takes place at 7 p.m. at Guthries Tavern, 1300 W. Addison. There’ll be plenty of board games and the $15 advance price ($20 at the door) includes one drink. Just remember, if you end up in the dark with someone at the end of the night … watch out for grues.

We’re jazzed about the concept behind Nerds at Heart. We even wrote the last event on our calendar, then proceeded to space on it completely. (In our defense, it’s not often we have anything of note on our calendars.) However, when we first visited their website, we initially thought it was an online dating service, which would have really blobbed our knocktab. To make a small suggestion to the fabulous geekgals of Nerds at Heart, we would pump up the interactivity within the site; maybe create some forums for people who have met through the events and for sharing interests. We’re positive plenty of cute, bespectacled webmasters would be willing to contribute to the worthy cause.

.jpg via oceanpark.