By Todd McClamroch in News on Oct 20, 2006 2:50PM
Forty thousand runners are making their final preparations for the 2006 LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon. Chicagoist thought it would be fun to learn more about the people making up this bunch.
Of the 40,000 runners, a whopping 13,910 are representing the Land of Lincoln and 42% of those folks are from Chicago. Chicagoist is officially rooting for you, Chicago Marathoners! This year's race also has a record number of international racers, 6,991, representing an astounding 123 countries, making this truly a global event.
Chicagoist is impressed by anyone that can prepare and compete in a marathon. But we were especially impressed by a few people who are in categories all their own. This year, there is a group of nine runners that are competing in their 29th straight Chicago Marathon - now that's dedication! (Or insanity. Chicagoist is still on the fence about that one.) A big tip of the hat also to the 60 runners that are 70 or older, of which 2 are 80 or older. Williard Scott would be proud.
We think the hardest part of running a marathon would be getting off your butt to go out train and prepare for your first marathon. This year approximately 33%
or 13,200 of the runners are first time marathoners. Good on ya!
Here is a brief look the Marathon by the numbers:
- 1,500,000 - Estimate for spectators
- 1,462,500 - Hinckley Springs / Gatorade Paper Cups
- 650,000 - Dollars in the prize pool
- 47,600 - Cool super hero looking mylar blankets
- 33,009 - Runners from the United States
- 22,468 - Men competing in the marathon
- 17,532 - Women competing in the marathon
- 13,200 - First time marathoners
- 6,991 - International race participants
- 440 - Teenagers running the marathon
- 160 - Jars of Vaseline (Umm are we at the right event?)
- 123 - Countries being represented by at least one runner
- 52 - Golf carts - Now that is the way to do the race in style
- 26.2 - Miles from start to finish
- 25 - Cheerleading squads to cheer on the runners
- 2 - Competitors that are 80 years or older. Wow!
- 1 - Runner from the country of Mayotte located in the Mozambique Channel in the Indian Ocean, between northern Madagascar and northern Mozambique.
Chicagoist wishes all the runners a safe race!