The Chicagoist will be launching later but in the meantime please enjoy our archives.

Chicagoist Weekend Blotter

By Shannon in News on Oct 22, 2006 9:25PM

Here's a nice little wrapup to all of the assorted robberies, shootings, fires, car crashes and drug busts that happened this weekend:

  • A woman in a Jeep slammed into a semi truck parked on the shoulder of the Edens Friday night. Nancy L. Nunez crashed into the rear of the parked semi around 8:40 p.m., starting her car ablaze. Rescue crews had to drag the charred Jeep out from underneath the truck; the driver was found badly burned inside. Police have not said if anyone else was in the vehicle.
  • In another fatal traffic accident, a 19-year-old pregnant woman was struck and killed by a Jewel Foods truck. Rachel Borders was crossing the street at Halsted and Cornelia on the North Side Saturday night when the truck, driven by Clarence Thomas (we're fairly sure it's not that Clarence Thomas), drove into her. Borders was believed to be in her third trimester.
  • crime scene

  • A woman shot her boyfriend in the face on Friday during an apparent domestic dispute. The woman was taken into custody Sunday morning after shooting the 20-year-old man on the West Side. He was taken to Stroger Hospital in critical condition.
  • Police seized nearly $100,000 worth of heroin Saturday in a routine traffic stop on the South Side. The driver, 36-year-old Demetrius Travis, was pulled over for a seatbelt violation; police arrested him when he couldn't produce valid insurance or a drivers' license. When they searched the car, they found 364 grams of heroin, with more back at Travis' apartment. (We don't mean to be rude, but if you're trafficking drugs, put on your fuckin' seatbelts, people.)
  • And finally, some good news: A woman saved her 6-year-old daughter and 75-year-old mother-in-law from a carbon monoxide-riddled house in Englewood on Friday night. The woman came home to find both occupants passed out and the family dog dead. Upon further investigation, the furnace was found to have faulty wiring, preventing it from shutting off. As a result, the victims were breathing "pure" carbon monoxide. Yikes!