Chicagoist Presents: The First Ever Cook County Theater Bee
By Justin Sondak in Arts & Entertainment on Feb 21, 2007 3:00PM
It doesn't seem fair when talented up-and-coming theater companies struggle to attract time-starved critics focused on more established institutions and touring shows. Recently, we’ve been part of the problem, reviewing the same productions covered by virtually every other media outlet in town. So now we ask you: what have we been missing?
Next month, Chicagoist will turn its attention to performers still craving attention and respect from the MSM. Email us and explain, in 200 words or less, why your company deserves 15 minutes of fame on our site, why Chicagoist readers and Chicago's culture vultures should come see your production. Let us know about your company and your show and point us to your website if you have one. The most compelling entry will be profiled and reviewed.
Please read the following guidelines before contacting us:
- This is a call for theater, sketch comedy, performance art, or multidisciplinary work performed in the city or suburbs. Improv shows, much as we like them, are ineligible. Your show should either have already opened or have an opening no later than March 31 and run for at least three weekends. Open runs are eligible.
- We’ll grant special consideration to companies less than five years old. If you're still not getting attention after five years, it might be time to rethink your publicity strategy.
- Companies whose work has already been reviewed on Chicagoist are ineligible.
- We appreciate that you read our site, subscribe to our feed and make your friends jealous when you’re strutting around in your Chicagoist hoodie. That information won’t give you a leg up. Please focus your essay on you.
- This will be a review, not a PR piece. We come to every show with an open mind, but if we don't like your work we'll be honest enough to say so.
To be considered, please e-mail chicagoisttheater (at) gmail.com by noon on February 28.
Image via cinema.bg.