The Friday Buffet
By Chuck Sudo in Food on Jul 13, 2007 4:00PM
Another week, another all-you-can-eat Friday Buffet. The photo alone is giving us cravings for some shark meat.
- It's National Ice Cream Month. Feeling charitable this afternoon? In the mood for ice cream? Then head over to Atwood Café between 2-4 p.m. and take part in their annual ice cream social to benefit the Fairy Godmother Foundation. Atwood chef Heather Terhune will donate $1 from every ice cream sold (graciously donated by Ciao Bella gelato) to this wonderful organization that grants wishes to terminally ill adults. Full Disclosure: This Chicagoist writer was once a certified Fairy Godmother "wish granter."
- The Weather Mark Tavern in the South Loop is hosting a "Friday the 13th Mystic" party. Specials include $2 domestic drafts, half-price quesadillas and roasted portobello mushroom sandwiches, psychic readings and tarot card readings (limited to 10-minute sessions). Weather Mark Tavern is located at 1503 S. Michigan Ave.
- One of the most anticipated dining events of the summer is the Chicago Bike Federation's annual Veggie Bike and Dine. This year, they're heading out south for some Soul Vegetarian (among other delights). It's sold out, but we decided to include the menu for you (Adobe PDF) because we're cruel that way.
- Bastille Day is this weekend. Café Matou is celebrating with a four-course, $45 fixed price menu. Courses include vichyssoise, seared dry-pack scallop with avocado, pink grapefruit, and smoked pimento vinaigrette; and grilled yellowfin tuna served with crisp capers and fresh basil sauce, among other choices.
- Pops for Champagne (note to their webmaster: could you do something about the way Pops' website locks up our browser, please?) is also celebrating Bastille Day from 3-6 p.m. with a tasting of 25-30 sparkling wines, bistro-style small plates, and cheeses for $40.
- Wentworth from Cermak Road to 24th will be blocked off for the annual Chinatown Summer Fair from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. Chicagoist will be there, sipping on some bubble tea and purchasing throwing stars.
- Randolph Wine Cellars is hosting a "Pleasures of Pinot" tasting Tuesday from 6-8 p.m. $30 gets you the privilege of sampling 30 pinot noirs and light noshes in the Tasting Room's upper city view lounge.
- one sixtyblue's monthly wine dinner will feature selected wines from HIll Family Estate. The $85 per person event begins with a reception at 6:30 p.m., followed by dinner a half-hour later. We've included the menu here (Adobe PDF) for your perusal.
Photo courtesy of Florida Photographic Collection.