By Jocelyn Geboy in News on Sep 7, 2007 2:45AM
- Is lead that inexpensive? Some toy stores are being hurt by Mattel's massive toy recall, and others are actually watching business boom.
- Mayor Daley introduced a proposed ordinance Wednesday calling for increased parking rates at O'Hare International and Midway Airports that would generate about $24 million in additional revenue a year. (They're really working on cranking out the ordinances, hey?)
- Sounds like the plot of a creepy movie ...a convicted murderer whose sister-in-law helped him escape from a locked ward at the Elgin Mental Health Center apparently has fled to Chicago, authorities said Wednesday.
- Hot Doug's was closed again! Much worse than a fiddling with the foie gras law, Doug is recovering from a broken leg. Best wishes and speedy recovery, Doug! They'll reopen on Sep. 12!
- Be careful teachers ... explain your veganism, and you might get the boot.
- Eric and Kathy should be happy. Streeterville is the future home of Children's Memorial Hospital and on Wednesday that project got a big boost: a single donation of $100 million.
- A great lead from the Trib: On the second floor of the Sheraton Chicago, a couple of conventions are unfolding this week: a meeting of Tropicana juice salesmen and a gathering of spies. Maybe they'll team up to make secret OJ.
- A team from the EPA on Wednesday conducted new tests at Illinois Beach
State Park near Zion to confirm or deny reports that the beach is full of absestos debris in the air and in the sand. And the best way to figure it out? Play volleyball and frisbee in hazmat suits.
"Umbrella" by liz noise