The Friday Buffet
By Chuck Sudo in Food on Sep 7, 2007 2:00PM
- Poor Didier Durand. The chef/owner of Cyrano's Bistrot was visited by the Health Department Wednesday on suspicion of selling foie gras, only to be shut down with a cockroach infestation. A Health Department spokesperson told Crain's that the infestation was "pretty severe," encompassing both the kitchen and a basement food prep area. Durand said the pest control company he uses thinks the roaches were a result of ongoing condo renovations above the restaurant. Unless he fails a re-inspection, Durand says that Cyrano's will re-open this evening. We'll still give it a while before we revisit.
- Get well wishes go to Hot Doug's proprietor Doug Sohn, who's "ween(ing) himself off the Vicodin" after breaking his leg while on vacation. The "encased meat emporium" will re-open once the leg heals and Sohn stops grinding his teeth.
- Farewell to the "Beer Hunter," Michael Jackson, who passed away last week from a heart attack (via). Jackson's passionate writing on the subject of beer and brewing was the foundation for those of us who've followed, and was instrumental in raising the profile of beer compared to wine and finer spirits. Not that Jackson was a slouch in those subjects; one of our favorite cocktail books written by Jackson contains a Midori Sour recipe that calls for equal parts Midori, white rum, and cream. It actually tastes better than what traditionally passes for a Midori Sour in bars and clubs.
- It's just past Labor Day, which means that it's time for the Windy City Wine Fest in Daley Bicentennial Park. This year the event runs today and tomorrow. If the weather forecast holds up, it should be perfect for sipping wine downtown from a plastic "commemorative glass."
- The Columbia Yacht Club will be busy tomorrow, hosting a full day of events from the wine auction house Edward Roberts International. The day gets going at 11 a.m. with a fine wine auction and tasting. The tasting will run you $50, so you don't have to feel obligated to bid on a bottle of 1959 Chateau-Mouton Rothschild. The auction ends at 4:30 p.m. At 5 p.m. ERI hosts an Australian wine dinner with acclaimed winemaker Sergio Carlei. The menu for the $100-per-person dinner can be viewed here.
- Morimoto's in town. You stand a better chance of seeing him in action at his demonstration and Q&A at Kendall College this afternoon, sponsored by ChicaGourmets; the Iron Chef's Saturday afternoon appearance at Fox & Obel has a waiting list stretching to Tribune Tower.
- Scoozi concludes its "Tomato Fest" this weekend. Call 312-943-5900 for more information.
- While the weather's still cooperating, head to Guinness Oyster Fest in Roscoe Village on Saturday.
- Chenny Troupe, the wonderful organization that trains dogs for animal-assisted therapy programs, is holding "Take Your Dog to Dinner Day" Monday at the restaurants on this list. You'll note that Cyrano's Bistrot is on that list. Let's hope they've taken care of the roaches by then.