The Friday Buffet
By Chuck Sudo in Food on Oct 5, 2007 2:15PM
- Award-winning food and drink writer Fiona Beckett will sign copies of her new book Food, Wine & Friends at the House of Glunz in Old Town this evening. The event runs from 5-7 p.m., and there will be a reception with wine and hors d'ouevres. Cost is $20 for the reception, $40 for the reception and a copy of the book.
- All you amateur sommeliers should be making a beeline to Sam's Wine & Spirits tomorrow and Sunday, as they kick off their "Ultimate Wine IQ challenge." This elimination-style tournament consisting of written, verbal and blind taste tests leads to a December finale where the winner will receive a $1,000 shopping spree. The challenge runs from noon-4 p.m. both days.
- The Chopping Block's third annual trunk show happens tomorrow at their Merchandise Mart location. This free event will feature cooking demonstrations and tastings, with attendee reaction determining which products the Chopping Block will be stocking in the next year. the trunk show runs from 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Heaven on Seven's Jimmy Bannos is hosting cooking classes at his downtown location this fall. The next one is Monday, and the cost is $75 per person ($95 gains you entry and a copy of his cookbook The Heaven on Seven Cookbook: Where It’s Mardi Gras All the Time!). The fee includes a five-course dinner and all the beer, wine and hurricanes you can drink.
- Viand has a "global bloody mary bar" during football season. On game days (including Monday nights), enjoy a meal in a glass for $9. Thursdays at Viand this fall feature a three-course, fixed-price dinner for $21.
- St. Matthias Parish is hosting its eighth annual "Friends of the Grape" wine festival on Sunday from 1-7 p.m. Cost is $30 per person, $50 for couples. Let the "blood of Christ" jokes commence.
- Osteria via Stato's "Swine & Wine" event commences at 6:30 Monday. The theme of the event is in the title: lots of pork, lots of wine. Wine director Adam Seger will be unveiling his baconcello at this event. Yup, baconcello. Cost is $69.
- Finally, The Chopping Block's Merchandise Mart location is the scene for a dinner celebrating Saveur's all-Chicago issue. Saveur editors and cooks featured in the issue will be on hand. The event runs from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Proceeds from the $60-per-person event will benefit the Greater Chicago Food Depository.