Monday Missed Connections: The Doomsday Plan
By Sarah Dahnke in Miscellaneous on Oct 15, 2007 4:00PM
While we're pre-mourning the loss of basically all forms of public transit near our apartment if the CTA "doomsday" plan goes into effect in January, we never stopped to think about the true victim in this situation: Missed Connections. With fewer buses running, trains will inevitably be more crowded, eliminating the chance to make eyes with that guy with the Timbuk2 bag and iPod during your morning commute. The humanity!
- Maybe if Mr. CTA himself knew he was breaking hearts on the Brown Line, he'd find a different way to spread the funds.
- We could take the Red Line to work instead of the bus, but we'll have to brush up on our staring-at-your-crotch-on-the-train etiquette.
- We guess we could buy a car, but cars come with their own annoying attributes. For example, we may find ourselves disguised, stalking our ex-husbands and falling in love with scientists. And that could just get messy.
- We could ride our bike, but we tend to find ourselves riding drunk in the cold, like this guy. All the talk about goats and cashmere reminds us we need to stock up on sweaters for the winter biking season, especially if the #50 Damen bus is about to go bye-bye.
- We'll probably just walk. And post missed connections about all of the dogs we meet.
Wasting time at work by reading Missed Connections? Send the best ones to firstname.lastname@example.org.