First Winter Storm - By the Numbers
The first storm of the winter season has passed. Here’s how it came down, by the numbers:
- About 400 flights canceled at O’Hare and Midway; those not canceled delayed 40 to 60 minutes.
- Wind gusts up to 45 m.p.h.
- Up to a quarter-inch of ice in some places.
- One death reported in Wisconsin, in a weather-related traffic accident.
- 100,000 customers without power across northern Illinois, mostly in the west and northwest suburbs. About 15,000 are still without power. If you see downed power lines, call 1-800-EDISON1.
- 273 snow plows used to clear roads in Chicago.
- Hour-long delays on the Green and Orange lines due to icy tracks.
- No special events canceled.
- One Chicago-bound United flight skidding off a taxiway in Des Moines.
Today is warmer, and most of the wintery slush has melted away. This week promises cold temperatures, but no precipitation.
Winter storm photo by PDR.