The Friday Buffet
By Chuck Sudo in Food on Jan 25, 2008 3:00PM
- First things first: If you haven't read about it elsewhere, Anthony Bourdain taped an appearance on Sound Opinions when he was in town in November. The episode airs this evening at 8 p.m.
- The Artisan Cellar in the Merchandise Mart is hosting an appearance by Evert Nijzink, head winemaker of Paritua winery, makers of Stone Paddock wines. The meet-and-greet runs from 3-6 this afternoon.
- ChicaGourmets and the local chapter of Les Dames d'Escoffier is sponsoring a luncheon at NAHA Saturday from 12:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. featuring recipes from Chicago Cooks: 25 Years of Chicago Culinary History and Great Recipes from Les Dames d'Escoffier, by tribune food editor Carol Mighton Haddix. Cost is $79.
- The Asian Students Union at the University of Chicago is sponsoring their International Food Festival Saturday from 6-10 p.m. The event is free.
- The big ticket event of the weekend is a $750-per-person fundraiser for the Chicago Institute of Neurosurgery and Neuroresearch (CINN) Foundation at Everest Sunday at 5:30 p.m. Joining Jean Joho in volunteering their culinary skills will be Paul Virant of Vie, Sebastien Canonne and Jacquy Pfeiffer of the French Pastry School; Gabriel Kreuther of the Modern in New York; Michel Richard of Citronelle in Washington, DC.; and Cal Stamenov of the Bernardus Lodge in Carmel, California.
- Catholic Charities annual Tasting d'Vine Affair runs from 2-6 p.m. Sunday at the Union League Club of Chicago. Tickets are $120, call 312-655-7912 to RSVP.
- Evert Nijzink continues his whirlwind tour of Chicago with an appearance as the guest instructor for Eno's "Enoversity" Monday from 6-7 p.m. Cost is $25.
- Tuesday is the last day this month to take advantage of Marigold's “Trail of the Tikka – North West Frontier Cuisine” three-course tasting menu featuring open-flame grilled specialties. The cost is an all-inclusive $25 per person.
- Wine Styles at 1443 W. Belmont celebrates its grand opening from Wednesday through Friday. Things kick off Wednesday with a champagne tasting.
- Ekya, a local non-profit organization working locally and in South Asia to eradicate poverty and promote literacy, will be the beneficiary of a wine tasting fundraiser at Scoozi! Thursday night hosted by Alpana Singh. Cost is $60, the event starts at 7 p.m.
Image Credit: Robert DiScalfani