The Friday Buffet
By Chuck Sudo in Food on Feb 1, 2008 3:00PM
Some events in the next seven days to consider saving your freshly shoveled parking space with a few chairs.
- The annual Grand Chefs Gala for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation kicks off this evening at the Fairmont Hotel. The black tie-preferred event runs from 6 p.m. - midnight and will feature a safari theme this year. Among the participating chefs will be sola's Carol Wollack, "Top Chef" alum Dale Levitski, Aigre Doux's Mohammad Islam, and Adam Schop of De la Costa. Tickets are $400; if that's out of your budget, the afterparty starts at 10 p.m. and is a cool $60 at the door.
- Fridays in February will be the last time to enjoy fondue at one sixtyblue, and this is definitely fondue weather. The menu is available from 5:30-11p.m.
- Just Grapes is hosting an craft beer tasting on Saturday, just in time to find a good beer for Benjy's guacamole recipe. The event runs from 1-4 p.m. Don Sritong and company will also be donating a portion of their February red wine sales to a national heart organization in honor of American Heart Month.
- If you don't want to make your own guacamole for the game Sunday, Adobo Grill is selling its guac to go for half-price ($4) on game day.
- Heaven on Seven's Jimmy Bannos will be on the "Today" show Monday to celebrate Mardi Gras. Bannos should be back home Tuesday to ring in Mardi Gras with Heaven on Seven's annual Mardi Gras celebration.
- The Chicago Cultural Center's "World Kitchen Winter Cooking" series continues with a lesson on hearty soups for the cabin fever months. The class runs from 1-3 p.m. and costs $10. Reservations can be made by calling 312-742-8497.
- Dan Nguyen's (Pasteur) Viet Bistro and Lounge is making the full-court press for your business in February. They're offering a four-course dinner Monday through Thursday this month for $29 ($39 with wine pairings. Mondays and Tuesdays are half-priced bottles of wine. Wednesdays and Thursdays will feature half-priced martinis from bar chef/sommelier/GM Rashed Islam.
- The Chicago Wine Club is sponsoring a "wines and valentines" singles mixer at the Melting Pot (600 N. Dearborn) Wednesday from 6-9 p.m. Cost is $40 in advance online, $50 (cash only) at the door.
- Vella Café is hosting a Chinese New Year Wine dinner Thursday from 7-10 p.m. Cost is an all-inclusive $75. Update: We should have mentioned that the wines are being provided by Cellar Rat. RSVP at 773-489-2728. Apologies, readers.
- If anyone can pair beer and chocolate (besides us) it's Unibroue's Jim Javenkoski. He's hosting two seminars on the subject. The first is at 42° N Latitude from 7-9 p.m. Thursday. Reservations are required; cost is $20.