By Chuck Sudo in News on Jun 14, 2008 12:00AM
- Hummer owners are feeling the squeeze from high gas prices. Boo. Hoo.
- Technology in Action: Cook County Sheriff's officials are now busting prostitutes on Craigslist.
- On Sunday, DePaul PhD candidate Karen Alkolby will become the first deaf woman in U.S. history to earn a doctorate in computer science. Alkolby created a computerized dictionary that translates English to American Sign language.
- Envelopes containing white powder were sent to Alderman Ed Burke, State Senate President Emil Jones, Cook County Commissioner John Daley and State Senator John Cullerton. The powder was not harmful. Can't believe some stupid still does that.
- A monkey at a Michigan City, Indiana zoo used a garden hose to scale a wall and moat. Sweet!
- Alderman Tom Tunney introduced legislation this week allowing for GLBT employees who marry in other states to keep their domestic partner benefits.
- Matthew Sunshine, the NU student who died of binge drinking earlier this week, is memorialized on the university's famed "rock".
- Tribune Publisher Scott Smith steps down. TOC Web Editor (and former Chicagoista) Scott Smith to still share name.