Illinois Residents Religious But Not Dogmatic
By Margaret Lyons in News on Jun 24, 2008 4:58PM
Part two of the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life's study on American religion is out now. (We talked about part one in February.) In Illinois:
- 70 percent believe in God with absolute certainty
- 3 percent don't believe in God at all
- 53 percent say religion is very important in their lives
- 39 percent attend religious services at least once a week
- 55 percent pray at least once a day, and 27 percent say their prayers are answered at least once a month.
- 72 percent say there is more than one true way to interpret the teachings of their religion
- 27 percent say their scripture is the literal word of God and is word-for-word true
- 74 percent say many religions can lead to eternal life
Read the whole fascinating report here.