Friday Morning Crime Round-Up
By Marcus Gilmer in News on Jul 18, 2008 3:10PM
As Police Supt. Weis and G-Rod spar over bringing in the National Guard and State Police to quell the rise in violence, crime continues and makes us wonder if we'd be better off with the Man of the Moment.
- A shooting in West Humboldt Park left three men injured. The shooting occurred shortly before 9 p.m. in the 800 block of North Keeler Avenue. Two men, 23 and 22 years-old, were treated at Stroger Hospital while another man, 42, was shot in the thigh and in stable condition at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. [Trib, S-T]
- A woman was shot at Randolph and Halsted, the West Loop area sometimes referred to as Restaurant Row, early Friday morning. Two men approached the woman and demanded her valuables. When she refused, a struggle ensued in which the men grabbed the valuables and fled. As they ran, one of the men fired and struck the woman in the leg. She was reported in stable condition at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
- Police arrested James Castaldo, 48, Thursday and charged him with a Gold Coast sexual assault that occurred earlier this week. He was charged with "aggravated criminal sexual abuse, aggravated battery, armed robbery, felony cannabis possession and unlawful use of a weapon by a felon" in connection to the attack. Police are also investigating whether or not he is responsible for a 2007 attack of a Lakeview woman. [Trib, S-T]
- A 13 year-old Lynwood runaway stole a prisoner transport van that was returning her from Indiana. When the driver of the van got lost and got out to seek directions, the teen took control of the van and led police on a chase from Lynwood to Chicago before being apprehended.
- Breaking News: teens in Naperville drink.