The Friday Buffet
By Chuck Sudo in Food on Jul 18, 2008 4:40PM
- The featured chef for tomorrow's cooking demonstration at Green City Market is Susan Goss of West Town Tavern. West Town Tavern is long a fave of the Chicagoist food and drink staff; Goss is one of the few to get us to eat fried chicken in the summer. The demonstration starts at 10:30 a.m.
- Hard to believe that when we mention pinot noir to casual wine drinkers, they still start quoting from "Sideways" three years later. This evening from 7-9:30 p.m. at the House of Glunz (1206 N. Wells) "The World of Pinot Noir" will take a in depth look at this grape, how its grown and fermented. Attendees will be able to sample selections from Burgundy, Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Northwest. Cost is $25.
- We forgot to mention Monday that Solo Rosa Napa Valley Rosé is available at Fleming's Steakhouse (25 E. Ohio). Monday from 6-10 p.m. Fleming's is hosting a Napa Valley Winemaker's dinner with members of the Napa Valley Vintners Association on hand to discuss their wines while eating some tasty steaks. Cost is $95.
- Everyone seems to have a facebook page. One of our favorites is Carnivale's executive chef Mark Mendez, who's been keeping his list of friends abreast of menu changes in preparation for Canivale's annual "Farm to Table Celebration." The event runs from Monday to Friday. Carnivale is located at 702 W. Fulton Market.
- Rustik (2515 N. California) and Provenance Food and Wine are joining up to pair fifteen wines specially selected for BBQ season with appetizers from Rustik chef Tim Leahy, all for a price of $25 per person. The event runs from 6-9 p.m.
- The American Cheese Society's 25th Anniversary Conference begins next Wednesday at the Chicago Hilton and Towers. Their Festival of Cheese is open to the public next Saturday from 5:30-9 p.m. Tickets are $85 per person.