By L. Stolpman in Food on Sep 5, 2008 2:45PM
Grill out and eat out, folks, while the weather allows. We're gearing up for Mexican Independence day by eating some pollo asados. Mmmmm. More fun ahead so get those calendars out.
- September 6: Growing Home's annual Harvest Festival. Make a trip out to the certified organic Les Brown Memorial Farm. They'll be celebrating with cooking demonstrations and talks about organic agriculture. 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. will be cooking demos, music, farm tours, etc. After 2 p.m., join the informal potluck (bring a dish!). $10 per person, $20 per family and free if you're a 2008 CSA member. 2539 N. 30th Road, Marseilles, IL 61341.
- September 9: Winnetka will be known at WHEYnetka on Tuesday morning as the city celebrates the launch of the Better Whey of Life brand of yogurts. Morning commuters will be greeted with samples of Better Whey of Life yogurts and a complimentary copy of "USWhey Today". No, we're not kidding. Check out their website - complete with talking cow and a $1 off coupon.
- September 9: Welcome back Foie Gras with a dinner at Le Lan. Chef Bill Kim will present a four course Foie Gras menu including a Foie Gras dessert. Call (312) 280-9100 for reservations. 7:30 p.m., 749 N. Clark Street, $115 includes four-course dinner, wine pairings.
- September 11-18: Adobo Grill celebrates Mexican Independence Day with some festive decor and special menu items. Viva la Mexico! Viva la independencia! All three Chicago locations will be participating.
- September 12: Join Sam's Wine & Spirits for a Bordeaux Wine Tasting event. Sample fine wines, enjoy tasty tidbits from some great Chicago restaurants, and educate yourself with wine seminars plus much more. (Restaurants include: Flemings Steakhouse, California Pizza Kitchen, Devon Seafood and Grill, and Melting Pot.) Tickets and information here. 6-8 p.m. $40 in advance, $50 at the door. 1720 North Marcey Street.
- September 13: HOPS! Homebrewers' Pride of the Southside Oktoberfest! For the price of your ticket ($25 at the door, $20 advance if you buy at least 5), you'll get unlimited food and hand-crafted beer. 3-8 p.m. 3202 S. May at the Bridgeport VFW.
- September 15: Join North Pond Restaurant at a fundraiser for the Women's Global Education Project, a entity devoted to fighting global poverty through girls' education. Guest of honor is Dr. Sonya Anderson, Education Program Director, The Oprah Winfrey Foundation. Click here for more information. 6-8 p.m. 2610 N. Cannon Drive. Tickets: $150 each or $500 for one ticket + scholar sponsorship.
- September 15-28: ChicagoOriginals will be celebrating the peak of mussels season with recipes that feature mussels during their annual mussels festival. Chef Didier Durand of Cyrano's Bistrot & Wine Bar will be featuring mussels during this time period. 546 N. Wells Street.