By Marcus Gilmer in News on Oct 8, 2008 11:15PM
Photo by Damian D23
- The City Council approved the Midway lease by a vote of 49-0 today.
- A Chicago teen died Tuesday after being struck in the head with a brick during an altercation Sunday night.
- Chicago Public Schools CEO Arne Duncan refused to accept the Abraham Lincoln Award from the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence, saying, "Our children are dying and no one can stop it...And so, while I am deeply honored to be here...I don't feel I can quite accept this award, not quite yet. I don't feel I have earned it.'' Bravo, Mr. Duncan. Now help fix this problem.
- Oak Park has seen an increase in armed robberies by more than 130 percent compared to last year. The numbers were counted from January 1 to August 31; in 2007, there were 19 armed robberies while in the same time period this year there were 44.
- FEMA has set up a Disaster Recovery Center at the Physical Education Building of Northeastern Illinois University, 3600 W. Foster Ave. to help victims of September's flooding.
- The Presidential candidates, now in comic book form! [via Gapers Block]