Hudson Case Round-Up
By Marcus Gilmer in News on Oct 31, 2008 2:45PM
There haven't been any new major breaks, but some details in connection to the high-profile triple homicide which has come to be a tragic symbol of Chicago's violent year have steadily been streaming out.
- Police continue to test the gun found in an alley on Wedensday, hoping they've found the murder weapon. The gun is a .45 caliber SIG-Sauer P220 pistol; police believe a .45 caliber gun was used in all three shootings in the case.
- An official speaking on conditions of anonymity told reporters that evidence suggest 7-year-old Julian King was taken from the home of Darnell Donerson alive after the shootings of Donerson and Jason Hudson, and that he was probably later shot in the SUV in which he was found Monday morning.
- A private service honoring the three victims will be held Monday morning at a church on the South Side. The service is being handled by Hudson Funeral Homes (yes, related to the family). There are tentative plans for a later, public memorial service as well.
- In a piece of evidence that was known since Friday but hasn't seen much press until now, it appears suspect William Balfour (pictured upper right with Jennifer Hudson), who proclaimed his innocence, refused to take a lie detector test when offered the chance by officers. The press may be reading more into this than necessary. After all, Balfour has been arrested many times before and we're sure his lawyer has him schooled on when to keep his mouth shut. Teh Sun-Times also has Balfour's arrest records available for viewing [PDF].
- Actress Jennifer Hudson and her sister have established the Hudson-King Foundation, intended to benefit the families of victims of violent crimes.