For the Foodies
By L. Stolpman in Food on Dec 5, 2008 5:47PM
Ahhh, remember the day of speakeasy passwords? If you do, well, we're glad our readers span the decades. Lots of alcohol to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the repeal of prohibition. WOOT! Check out some upcoming events below:
- December 5: Go to Lush Wine and Spirits (either location) the evening of Friday, December 5th between 6-10 PM and they'll be pouring FREE samples of classic cocktails for your repealing pleasure.
- December 5: For Repeal Day, the Drake Hotel's Coq d'Or Room (140 E. Walton Pl.) is turning back the clock to 1933 and offering forty-cent shots of Jim Beam bourbon. you read that right: forty-cent shots of Jim Beam bourbon.
- December 5 - Infinity: La Madia is offering a $25 per person holiday party deal - this party package includes passed hors d’oeuvres, a selection of signature pizzas, a “Sweet Finish” as well as a “Wine & Beer Open Bar” (one hour) featuring their Red and White Wine of the Week Selection, Beer, Soda, and Tea. Afternoon Cocktail Party is available from 2:30-5:30 any day of the week. $25 / person excluding Tax and gratuity. If you're interested in arranging, contact Megan Kirkpatrick at 404-569-5300 or 312-329-0400.
- December 6: Hart Davis Hart Wine Co. will host its final wine auction of 2008 9:00a.m. at Tru restaurant. The sale will offer 1,064 lots of the world’s finest and rarest wines, including an exciting selection of Bordeaux from the heralded 1982 and 2000 vintages. Attendance is open to the public and free of charge. Reservations for lunch at Tru during the auction ($75) should be made by calling Hart Davis Hart at 312-482-9996 or by emailing Maria Elgass, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- December 6: Head to Perman Wine Selections for Oysters and Wine: 4 kinds of oysters, 2 of each kind per person (for a total of eight). 8 oyster-friendly white wines served in flights of two with each different oyster. Go and try Do Ferreiro “Cepas Vellas” Albariño, a wine so rare that only a chosen few will ever get to taste it! 802 W. Washington, $50 per person.
- December 7, 14, and 21: Holiday Candlelight Concerts at Pops for Champagne from 6-9 p.m. The critically-acclaimed and vibrant T. Monique Trio will be playing songs from her new holiday CD, Yuletide Groove, and creating an inviting atmosphere to enjoy the festive tunes while sipping champagne and enjoying delicate cuisine prepared by Chef Brochu. The full food and beverage menu will be available including newly-added dishes such as Rabbit Rilette with Shallot Marmalade, Red Grapes and Vanilla ($9); Opah Terrine with Lemon Confit, Orchid Pudding and Black Garlic ($12); and Venison with Pumpkin Puree, Braised Pecans and Huckleberries ($16); along with a wide assortment of domestic and international cheeses. Cover costs $12 per person. 601 N. State Street Chicago, IL 60611 (312) 266-7677.
- December 8: Shaw’s Crab House will celebrate an evening of holiday cheer, featuring food and wine pairings by some of the brightest stars in Chicago’s wine scene. The seven-course dinner will be prepared by Shaw’s Executive Chef Arnulfo Tellez and guest sommeliers, including Alpana Singh, Adam Seger, and Shaw’s very own Steve Tindle, will pair each course with wine. The evening begins with an oyster and sparkling wine reception at 6:30 p.m., followed by a sit-down dinner, and is priced at $125, all-inclusive. Reservations are required, please call Shaw’s at 312.527.2722 or visit their website for more information.
- December 8 (Sundays through Thursdays, 5 p.m.): SushiSamba Rio's will offer a three-course menu featuring your choice of an appetizer, large plate and dessert all for $35.00 from Sundays through Thursdays, 5 p.m. until close. Sip a SUSHISAMBA signature Lemon Samurai, which comes included with your meal, or enjoy one of the many discounted bottles of wine and sake, only $20 with the purchase of a Recession Menu.
- December 9: Head to C-House (Affina Hotel Chicago, 166 East Superior 312-523-0923) on Tuesday, December 9th for a a canapé reception at 6:30pm followed by a 4 Course Wine Dinner featuring Bin 36 Wines. Fantastic selections from the Bin 36 Wine Portfolio will be paired with Chefs Marcus Samuelsson and Seth Siegel-Gardner's Cuisine. Bin 36 Wine Director Brian Duncan and Chef Marcus Samuelsson will be on hand to discuss the wine and food. $90 per person, tax and gratuity included. Reservations are required and can be made by calling 312.523.0923.
- Month of December: For the price-conscious diner, Spring restaurant is offering a 4-course fixed-priced “Everything Spring” dinner menu for only $45, excluding tax and gratuity. The special will run through the end of the year and features favorites from the past seven years including: Tuna Nicoise, Lemongrass and Coconut Soup, Scallops with Braised Oxtail and Thai Coffee Panna Cotta. Additionally, through the end of 2008, guests who spend $100 at the restaurant will receive a complimentary $25 gift card for use on future visits.
- Month of December: In celebration of the 75th anniversary of the end of Prohibition, Room21 is cracking their wine vault. In keeping with Room21’s Al Capone-hide-out status, high end, well-known wines will be sold at prices “like they’re from the back of a truck.” Prices will range from $100 - $200 / bottle for wines that usually cost $200 and up.