By Marcus Gilmer in News on Jan 27, 2009 12:00AM
Photo by terminal_verbosity
- Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg was completely evacuated this afternoon after a citizen reported seeing a man with a gun. After a subsequent search by police turned up nothing, the mall was reopened.
- A federal judge sentenced Paul Schiro to 20 years today. Schiro is the first defendant from the Family Secrets trials to be sentenced. While the jury had only convicted Schiro of racketeering, his sentence was longer because, according to the Sun-Times, "U.S. District Court Judge James Zagel found that the prosecution had proven by a preponderance of evidence that Schiro had helped kill [Emil] Vaci."
- Box maker Smurfit-Stone, who has a headquarters located here, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Such a filing would allow them to restructure their debt.
- It seems the public may also get a chance to hear some of The Blago Tapes.
- Dexter Yarbrough, a former Chicago Police officer, is in hot water after being taped telling a group of Colorado State students "beating suspects and paying off informants with drugs is just a way of life for police in 'Chi-town.'"
- Today in D'oh! A woman was arrested for DUI on the Northwest side last night after she rear-ended a police car stopped at a red light.