By Marcus Gilmer in News on Feb 27, 2009 12:00AM
Photo by .rockpaperscissors.
- As expected, Mayor Daley named Richard Rodriguez to replace Ron Huberman as President of the CTA. Daley also appointed Rosemarie Andolino as aviation chief.
- Former Bulls player and television analyst Norm Van Lier passed away today at the age of 61. Van Lier was a three-time all-star for the Bulls from 1971-1978.
- The Republic Windows and Doors plant where workers staged a sit-in last year has been bought by the California-based Serious Materials, who plans to rehire the plant's former workers.
- Bad news for Borders Books: the chain is closing their Mag Mile location because the store has not met "profit objectives."
- Anthony Abbate, the police officer who was caught on tape beating a bartender, appeared in court today for a status hearing. A trial date still has not been set.
- A collection of Harper's Index factoids about Chicago and Illinois [via Gapers Block].
- With it's endowment down by 25 percent, Northwestern University is hiking undergrad tuition, room, and board to $49,791 a year starting in the 2009-2010 academic year while also slashing operating costs by 3 percent.
- Our sister site Phillyist talks with Chicago-based performer Neal Dandade.