By Marcus Gilmer in News on Mar 11, 2009 11:00PM
Photo by [clint]
- Somehow, Illinois ranked 13th in the nation in terms of well-being based of a USA Today-Gallup poll. In semi-related news, the National Alliance on Mental Illness gave the Illinois mental health system a "D" grade which comes as several mental health centers in the city fight to keep their doors open.
- The compelling saga of James Douglas Wilson, a Des Plaines man sentenced to eight years in a Moroccan jail for drug trafficking, charges his family says are false.
- The Trib takes a look at how new legislation proposed by President Obama affects local efforts to dispose of nuclear waste.
- Two banks, one hour.
- Today in Neat-o: curators have finally confirmed the legend that there was a secret Civil War-related message inscribed in a pocket watch belonging to President Lincoln.
- Audrey Niffenegger, a faculty member at Columbia College here in Chicago as well as the author of the best-seller The Time Traveler's Wife, has sold her newest book, Her Fearful Symmetry, to an imprint of Simon & Schuster for $5 million.