Earth Hour Events This Saturday
By Samantha Abernethy in Arts & Entertainment on Mar 27, 2009 4:00PM
Photo of the Chicago Theater during Earth Hour '08 by katherine of chicago
- Bleeding Heart Bakery has been using a sun oven since March 21st to solar cook Earth Hour inspired bakery treats. 1955 W. Belmont Ave.
- Nick's Beer Garden in Wicker Park will turn off exterior lights, TVs and most interior lights. 1516 N. Milwaukee Ave.
- The Uncommon Ground in Lakeview will serve an Earth Hour Cocktail called "Lights Out." It includes rain organic vodka, house-made blackberry cardamom syrup and triple sec, shaken and served with an orange twist. $8.00. 3800 N. Clark St.
- Weather Mark Tavern in the outh Loop will turn off the lights and celebrate with a candle light dinner, drink specials, a free Champagne toast and psychic readings. 1503 S. Michigan Ave.
- Red Kiva Lounge will turn its lights out and enjoy with candlelight and green cocktails. The drink of the night is the GoGreenTini: Absolut Vanilla vodka, sour apple pucker and sweet and sour. $12. 1108 West Randolph St.
- Marketplace will have a "Green Hour Menu" prepared with no electricity or heat, Eco-tinis and acoustic entertainment with guitarist Joe Tortorici and vocalist Victoria Kubina. 10 percent of sales will be donated to the WWF. 611 N. Fairbanks Ct.
- The Redhead Piano Bar will turn off their sign and offer Maker's Mark and lemonade cocktails, served with a glow stick. $8 (five of it donated to WWF). Katherine-Anne Confections will hand out sample truffles. Raffle, prizes and live music. No cover. 16 W. Ontario St.
- Cite will have a candle light dinner starting at 8:30 PM. As Cite goes dark, guests will be able to view the entire Chicago skyline participate in Earth Hr as lights are turned off for an hour from the 70th fl. Regular menu will be available, reservations recommended. 505 N. Lake Shore Dr.
- The Conrad Chicago hotel will offer an "Eco-chic" package that includes green terry & linen opt-in, green tea amenity, prix fixe dinner for one at their restaurant, which will host a candle light dinner. 521 North Rush St.
- Dinkel's Bakery will turn out all their power (except refrigeration) to serve up their German goodies. They've also created special Earth Hour "Lights Out" cookies. 3329 N. Lincoln Ave.
- Pie-Eyed Pizzeria in Westown will have a candle light dinner. Tips and donations to WWF. 1111 W. Chicago Ave.
- Some Whole Foods stores will turn off a majority of their lights from 8:30pm-9:30pm. The first 100 customers will receive a free flashlight, and they'll offer samples to match the mood lighting.
- All area Flat Top Grill restaurants will dine with the lights off.