By Marcus Gilmer in News on Jun 29, 2009 10:20PM
The Other Side of Pride: Protesters; Photo by lynnewio
- The B.F. Shaw Printing Co., parent company of the McHenry County-based newspaper Northwest Herald, has sued Cal Skinner Jr. of the McHenry County Blog for damages based on a post Skinner made regarding an alleged loan to the paper, claiming such a loan never happened.
- The City has filed applications for grants that would provide upwards of $106 million meant to hire 400 new police officers. But the grants, good for three years, contain the provision that the officers have to remain on the city payroll for at least one additional year after.
- At yesterday's Pride Parade, Sen. Roland Burris supported civil unions but stopped short of endorsing gay marriage - a view shared by Pres. Barack Obama.
- This weekend involved a deadly 24-hour period in which six people were shot dead.
- Ground has been broken on a planned Metra station at 35th and Federal St. The station will serve the Rock Island District Line and will serve, among others, commuters to U.S. Cellular Field and the Illinois Institute of Technology.
- Chi-Town Daily News has a cool video about efforts at the Lincoln Park Zoo to help rebuild species facing extinction.