The Friday Buffet
By Chuck Sudo in Food on Jul 31, 2009 6:00PM
- Through Sunday: Pilsen's annual Fiesta Del Sol festival kicked off last night on Cermak from Morgan to Throop. Very good eats to be had at Fiesta del Sol.
- One of the highlights of this year's Retro on Roscoe Festival is the 15th Annual Windy City Chili Cook Off. The cookoff is open to anyone over 18. No beans allowed.
- Flemings Prime Steakhouse (25 E. Ohio, 312-329-9463) is offering that burger above as part of its "5 for $6 Until 7" menu. that's eight ounces of hand-shaped ground Prime beef, seasoned with salt and pepper, pan-seared and finished in flemings' broiler.
- Tuedsday: To celebrate the 46th anniversary of President Obama's birth on American soil in Hawaii, David Burke's Primehouse is giving away to customers free mini "Yes We Cakes" in a can: a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting and “birthday” blue sprinkles. Full-sized cakes are available for purchase for $24.
- Wednesday: Now We're Cookin's kids cooking class series continues with a course on macaroni and cheese. No boxes and orange powder necessary, everything is being made from scratch. (1601 Payne Street, Evanston, 847-570-4140, $30)