The Farm Dinner Wave Is Cresting
By Chuck Sudo in Food on Aug 12, 2009 6:40PM
Localvore-focused blog the Local Beet has just announced their inaugural farm dinner set for 3 p.m. September 20 at Genesis Growers in St. Anne, IL. Genesis Growers owner Vicki Westhoff tends an organic farm 70 miles southwest of Chicago, sells at Green City Market and runs a 9-month long community sponsored agriculture (CSA) program with dropoffs at various points throughout the city. This is a BYOB, family-style dinner featuring produce from Genesis Growers cooked by Melissa Graham of Monogramme Events & Catering, who also contributes to the Local Beet. At $40 ($30 for teens 13-18, $20 for kids 6-12 and kids under 5 free) this is a steal. Order your tickets here.
Angelic Organics is another Caledonia, IL-based organic farm that does wonderful business with its CSA program. It also serves as something of a teaching farm. Angelic Organics Learning Center is a 501(c)3 non-profit offering hands-on training at the farm for the next generation of farmers and folks interested in agriculture; their Urban Initiative encourages communities here and in Rockford to build healthy local food systems.
Angelic Organics is teaming up for a $100 per person benefit farm dinner with Josh Kulp and Christine Cikowski from Sunday Dinner (Cikowski sits on the Board of Directors for Angelic Organics Learning Center) from 2-8 p.m. at the Caledonia farm; proceeds go to Angelic Organics Learning Center. Since this is the time of year where the bounty of fruits and vegetables is richest; view the menu for this dinner after the jump. Order tickets here.
- Confit and Grilled Becker Lane Pork
- Grilled Burgers with Heirloom Tomato, Horseradish Cheddar and Arugula
- Micro Beer Brats and Stewed Peppers and Onions
- Grilled Flatbreads with Heirloom Tomato, Fresh Mozzarella and Basil
- Ratatouille Pasta Salad with Roasted Eggplant, Squash and Onions, Cherry Tomatoes and Fresh Goat Cheese
- Summer Slaw with Cabbage, Carrots, Cucumbers, Dill and Creme Fraiche
- Grilled Corn with Cilantro Jalapeno Butter
- Mixed Green Salad with Shaved Zucchini
- Shortcakes with Market Summer Berries and Sabayon