The Friday Buffet
By Chuck Sudo in Food on Oct 2, 2009 4:20PM
Quinoa seared scallops with chanterelle mushrooms, broccoli two ways from Tru.
So we didn't get the Olympics? Relax! People still gotta eat and, regardless of the outcome, supporters and opponents of the bid would have had a reason to drink tonight. Here are some events coming up in the next week of note.
- Today: The Anti-Cruelty Society of Chicago's “It’s Raining Cats & Dogs” benefit takes place at Province (161 N. Jefferson) from 6:30 p.m. until 10:00 p.m. Chef Randy Zweiban and a host of other chefs will be serving small plates for the guests, which will also feature wine, beer, coffee and dessert tables. The evening will include live entertainment, auctions and a $5,000 cash raffle ($100 per raffle ticket). Tickets cost $125 per person in advance or $140 at the door. /li>
- Saturday:The Chopping Block's Merchandise Mart location is having a trunk show from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Meet representatives from all of the top culinary lines including All Clad, Emile Henry, Rosle, Le Creuset and Global Knives. Watch their demonstrations, enjoy tastings made with their products and get the inside scoop on not-yet-released products. Your feedback to determine what products The Chopping Block carries in the future. This trunk show is free.
- Sunday:Courtright's (8989 Archer Ave. Willow Springs, 708-839-8000) is hosting a "Hen of the Woods Nature Hike & Luncheon" starting at 9:30 a.m. Guests will start off with a presentation on Hen of the Woods Mushrooms, followed by a hike and foraging for the fungi in nearby Bullfrog Pond, Horse Collar Slough and Tomahawk Slough. the luncheon starts at noon. Cost is $60 per person, or $50 for the luncheon alone. Transportation to and from the hike is not provided.
- Monday: The Drawing Room (937 N. Rush) will host a fundraiser for Kyle McHugh. The "Boozehound" and owner of Drinks Over Dearborn incurred some serious medical expenses related to a hospital stay over the summer, so his friends and fellow US Bartenders guild members are banding together to help offset those expenses. It'll be a night of cocktails, food, raffles, music and toasts. Door donations and tips will all be donated to Kyle.
- Tuesday: Former Chicagoist writer Andy Jenkins has moved from Marion Street Cheese Market to Two Brothers Brewing. Jenkins will be at Smoke Daddy (1804 W. Division) to tap a pin of Heavy Handed IPA. A pin is a 5.4 gallon cask cask keg used to serve beer using natural carbonation. Jenkins will be on hand to tap the pin and pour Heavy Handed as a "Real Ale" from 6-8 p.m.
- Wednesday:Cityscape bar in the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza (350 W. Mart Center Dr., 15th Floor, 312-836-5000) is hosting an Architectural Martini Tour. Guests will find maps that will guide them through eight buildings that can been seen from the bar: Merchandise Mart, 333 W. Wacker Dr., Civic Opera House, Sears Tower, Boeing HQ., Carbide & Carbon building, John Hancock Center and the R.R. Donnelly Building. Cityscape has crafted a martini for each of those buildings at prices ranging from $8-10.
- Thursday:North shore Distillery and otom are teaming up for a three-course dinner with cocktail pairings, starting at 7 p.m. Cost is $50 per person.