The Friday Buffet
By Chuck Sudo in Food on Oct 23, 2009 5:40PM
- Tonight: Blue Sky Inn's annual "A Taste of Success" fundraiser is being held at the Flat Iron Building's Around the Coyote gallery (1935-1/2 W. North Ave.). Enjoy signature cocktails by Southern Wine & Spirits and the United States Bartenders Guild, hors d'oeuvres created by Blue Sky Inn's Albany Park bakery and café, cocktail jazz, a live auction featuring "Dream Job Opportunities" including: trainer at the Shedd Aquarium, chef at Tru, Food & Wine Critic at Time Out Chicago, craft beers by Two Brothers Brewing Company, and artwork created by the youth who benefit from Blue Sky Inn's programs. $45.
- Tonight: Shaw's Crab House kicks off its annual Oysterfest with its tent party at the downtown Shaw's (21 E. Hubbard). $10 suggested donation, 3:30-11 p.m.
- Saturday: The Chopping Block's Lincoln Square location (4747 N. Lincoln Ave.) is featuring a cooking class on Japanese-Style grilling. "Backyard Benihana" will focus on preparing Miso Soup with Grilled Sake-Marinated Tofu; Grilled Shiitake Mushroom Salad with Gingery Ponzu Dressing; Chicken and Vegetable Yakitori with Honey Soy Glaze, Spicy Sesame Dipping Sauce and Mustard Dipping Sauce; Authentic Salmon Teriyaki with Sticky Rice. 7-9:30 p.m., $85.
- Tuesday: ChicaGourmets! is hosting a dinner at the Culinary and Hospitality Institute of Chicago (361 W. Chestnut). The festivities begin at 6 with an interactive cocktail and appetizer instruction, followed by the dinner at 7:30. Southern Wine and Spirits Head Mixologist Bridget Albert will also be on hand to make more cocktails. $85, RSVP here.
- Wednesday: Osteria via Stato (620 N. State St., 312-642-8450) is hosting a "Swig and Pig" wine dinner featuring beer selections from two Brothers, starting at 6:30 p.m. $60.
- Thursday: Head out to Cigars and Stripes (6715 W. Ogden Ave., Berwyn, 708-484-1043) for a beer tasting featuring the beers of Schmaltz Brewing's Coney Island line: Freaktoberfest Blood Red Lager, Sword Swallower Steel Hop Lager, Albino Python White Lager, and Human Blockhead Tough as Nails Lager. Schmaltz's Jerry Cowan and other brewers will be on hand to answer questions, free Coney island hot dogs will be served and sideshow acts will perform. $20