Local Olympians Return With Lots of Medals
By Benjy Lipsman in News on Mar 1, 2010 4:20PM
An exciting two weeks of Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver came to a close on Sunday, and as the athletes head home from Canada, the United States delegation will return having won more Olympic medals than any nation in a winter games ever has -- 37 total, (9 gold, 15 silver and 13 bronze). A number of those medals now hang around the necks of some of our local Chicago Olympians:
- An unbelievable hockey gold medal game on Sunday, won by Canada 3-2 in overtime, earned Blackhawks Jonathan Toews, Brent Seabrook and Duncan Keith gold medals while teammate Patrick Kane will return with a silver medal after playing for Team USA.
- Speed skater Shani Davis repeated his medal haul from the 2006 Turino games by winning a gold in Men's 1000m and a silver in Men's 1500m.
- Evan Lysacek stunned many when he won gold in men's figure skating over Russia's Yevgeny Plushenko, who held the lead heading into the free skate.
- Katherine Reutter won a speed skating silver medal in the Ladies' 1000m.
- Speed skaters Brian Hansen and Jonathan Kuck comprised half the silver medal squad in Men's Team Pursuit.
- Women's Ice Hockey player Lisa Chesson and her teammates won silver medals, just like their male counterparts.
- Lana Gehring won bronze in Ladies' 3000 m Speed Skating Relay.
Congrats to all our local Olympians and especially to our local medal winners!