What We Love About Chicago Spring
By Marcus Gilmer in Miscellaneous on Apr 12, 2010 6:00PM
Despite some still coolish temps here and there, Spring has sprung in Chicago. The browns and grays of winter have been replaced with blues, greens, and yellows as flowers bloom and trees bud. Games are being played - and fans are misbehaving - at both Wrigley and The Cell once again. We've put away the winter coats and have already had some days when jackets weren't even needed. Yes, we've made it through another winter and with street fest season right around the corner, we thought we'd take a look at some of the great things about Chicago in Spring that we love. Add your own in the comments.
- Marcus: Return of leaves, cleavage season, opening the windows, baseball, taking the dog to dog parks.
- Aaron: Great biking weather, better BBQing weather than winter, porch/patio hangouts, restaurants and bars opening their outdoor seating, no more giant gas bills.
- Rob: I can wear my Birkenstocks without shame, citrusy cocktails and Mai Tais make sense again, the end of "dibs"-related conversation for another year.
- Benjy: Baseball returns... and at least for a while, "this is next year!", dining/drinking outdoors, grilling on the rooftop, girls in short skirts, still light out when leaving work, Wendella water taxi - $2 for a 15 minute cruise up the river, through the city's canyon of skyscrapers. Bargain way to enjoy the city's architecture.
- Laura B.: naps with the windows open, not getting pelted with snow while running on the lake path, the city's collective seasonal affective disorder finally subsides, OMGTULIPS!!1! everywhere!
- Karl: Windows open at the Huettenbar, windows down in the car, music cranked up, ceviche, shandys and sangrias, trips to Paulina for sassages to grill, bags in the alley.
- Tony: Farmer's markets, outdoor antique markets, rooftop gardens, smell of cut grass, hiding behind sunglasses, dudes in tight tees and muscle shirts.
- Tankboy: Porch-drinkin' with my lady and my beagle, no wait for cardio machines at the gym, the reappearance of girls' legs, eating BBQ outside instead of at restaurants, finally being able to smell again because my sinuses aren't fucked by winter cold season.
- Chuck: It's still daylight out when you come home from work, sidewalk cafes come out,put away the sweaters for another 4 months, the bikes reclaim the streets, red ales and lighter porters replace imperial stouts, gin martinis always stay in fashion, opening the windows to air out your apartment of the stank of winter, movies in the backyard, no need for a gym since it's warm outside for exercise.
- Jake: Wiffle ball, seasonal brews, Cardinals NL Central domination commences [Ed's note: boooooo! - M.G.], restaurant/bar patios open.
- Betsy: Ripping the plastic wrap off my windows, fighting for space on the bike racks, car windows down, can hear people's music, making friends with people who have rooftop patios.