The 2011 Cocktail World Cup in Chicago
Chicago’s best bartenders gathered last night to showcase their best for 42Below’s Cocktail World Cup Competition, this year themed “Carnival of the Cocktail 2011”. Winners from the Chicago competition will go on to compete at nationals in New York City, where winners will form Team USA, a team with a winning past, and go on to compete in New Zealand for the international Cocktail World Cup competition. So how did our hometown boys and girls fare?
Each brought together a flare of mixes representing Chicago and the competition theme, ranging from horchata to rosemary, and offering sweet drinks, sour drinks and altogether unique combinations. The winning drinks featured a festively themed cotton candy cocktail by Tim Lacey of the Drawing Room, and a sweetly sipped chocolate and cherry cocktail from Tim Williams of Province.
42Below, a New Zealand based vodka company, has been hosting the international cocktail competition for over seven years, and this is the third year since it expanded the competition to Chicago. The national competition, to decide who will represent Team USA in the international competition in New Zealand, will take place in New York City on Feb. 27, 2011.
Not wanting to fly so far to support your favorite bartenders? Find Chicago’s best bartenders, and their 42Below vodka inspired cocktails, at bars all around town.
- Tim Lacey, The Drawing Room
- All Sales Are Final, Void Where Prohibited by Law (Honey Vodka, Acpricot Liquer and Ginger Beer)
- Tim Williams, Province
- The Federali (Manuka Honey, Cherry Heering and Aztec Chocolate bitters)
- Andy Gould, Broiler Room
- The Pigeon and Squirrel (Koval Rose Hip and Grapefruit Juice)
- Edith Rubalcava, The Signature Room
- Manuka Almond Martini (Horchata and dark chocolate shavings)
- Dante LoPresti, Double A
- The Pinup (Jasmine Tea and Grapefruit Bitters)
- Sergio Serna, The Drawing Room
- K.T. Wellington (Green Tea and Kiwi Vodka)
- Bryson Ryan, University Club
- Sweetest Light Below the Equator (Passion Fruit Vodka, Creme De Banana and Ice Wine)
- Milan Mijatovic, The Sliversmith Hotel
- Fall in Love (Cinnamon and Cranberry infused vodka, Agave Syrup and Apple Cider)
- James Kuehner, The Signature Room
- Beet Martini (Beet Puree and Creme Fraische Cavier Pearls)
- Andre Cunningham, Coastal Catering
- Pearidise (Pear Nectar and Rhubarb Bitters)