Noxious Fumes At Blue Island School Send 32 To Hospitals

By Anna Deem in News on Mar 19, 2011 7:00PM

Toxic fumes at Paul Revere Intermediate School in Blue Island on Thursday sent 32 people to the hospital--including 22 students and Principal Carl S. Gmazel--after two janitors used bleach and drain cleaner to unclog a drain. When used together, both products created fumes that had a bad odor and made students have trouble breathing. The school was evacuated and as of Friday, everyone except for one of the custodians has been released from the hospital, officials said via the Chicago Sun-Times.