Do This: Counter Culture Goes Underground
By John DiGilio in Food on Jul 15, 2011 7:40PM
How's this for a diversion? Counter Culture Coffee is going underground and you are invited. On Friday, August 5, Chicago's newest coffee collective is hosting an open house to celebrate local food producers, artists, brewers and coffee crafters. Localvores and others looking to sample some of the city's up-and-comers are welcome to stop in. Coffee connoisseurs on a budget rejoice; this event is free and comes with caffeine!
The sweet line-up so far includes:
- Craft Beers from Strange Pelican, including their Red Eye Espresso Stout, Cascara Saison and more.
- Frosty delights by underground ice cream parlor, Sweet Ape
- Video Installations by Tyler Kaschke,
- The photography of Matthew Gasaway
- Local 'zines by Joyce Rice of Bird Wizards
- Illustrations and art by Leanne Bazetta
- Sculptures by artist Daniel Giles
In addition, Counter Culture's own coffee wizards will be on hand, offering iced coffee demos by the cup. It promises to be an evening of underground euphoria. The event is scheduled to run from 6:30-10:00 PM in the West Loop. Oh, and did we mention that it is free? We had the chance to visit the new Counter Culture Chicago Training Center back in May. It is definitely worth a visit for anyone with a love for or even an interest in the joys of java
Counter Culture is located at 177 North Ada Street.