Make Justin Large's Oyster Taco From Mercadito
By Amy Cavanaugh in Food on Apr 28, 2012 4:00PM
Photo credit: Amy Cavanaugh
Mercadito donates a percentage of the proceeds to Share Our Strength, which fights childhood hunger. We previously featured Michael Kornick's chicken and cactus taco recipe and David Blonsky's smoked pork cheek taco recipe.
Recipe for Taco de Ostiones
Makes 4 tacos
4 fresh corn tortillas
8 large or 12 medium oysters shucked for frying
1 C rice flour
1 C cornmeal or masa harina
2 red or breakfast radishes, shaved thinly with mandolin
1/4 head of green cabbage, shaved
1/2 large red onion julienned
2-3 T chopped cilantro
Extra virgin olive oil
5 T chipotle aioli (recipe follows)
Oil for frying
4 egg yolks
4 C neutral flavored oil
4 cloves roasted garlic
1.5 cans, pureed chipotles en adobo
1. Combine all ingredients except the oil in a food processor or blender and puree.
2. Add the oil in a slow stream and continue to process until the mixture has formed a thick emulsion.
1. Heat oil to 350, drain oysters and reserve.
2. Mix together rice flour and cornmeal for dusting. Season with salt.
3. In a separate bowl mix radishes, cabbage, red onion, lime juice, and extra virgin olive oil. Season to taste and reserve.
4. Warm tortillas.
5. Dredge oysters in cornmeal mixture, and fry until golden. Season upon removal from fryer.
6. Spread the bottom of each tortilla with a generous portion of chipotle aioli, top aioli with oysters and slaw. Finish with fresh cilantro and serve with lime wedges.