Get Your Om On For National Yoga Month
By Michelle Meywes Kopeny in Arts & Entertainment on Aug 31, 2012 6:00PM
Photo from the National Yoga Month Facebook page
Get ready to get your om on, because September is National Yoga Month. The awareness campaign's goal is to get people moving and encourage them to make healthy living a part of their daily lives. If you’re new to yoga, it’s the perfect opportunity to learn, ask questions and try classes for free. That’s right, the Yoga Health Foundation has teamed with yoga studios across the country to offer free week-long passes for new students to get all zen. There are tons of studios in Chicago taking part, including Corepower, Exhale, Chicago School of Hot Yoga, Fitness Formula Club and many more. Just check with your local studio to find out if they’re participating, or use Yoga Health Foundation’s search tool.
There are lots of other events (including more free stuff) throughout the month in honor of National Yoga Month that experienced yogis and novices alike can take part in:
- Athleta is offering complimentary classes every Saturday in September at their Southport store along with giveaways and an online calendar with daily yoga activities, tips and inspiration. Check their site at the beginning of the month for times. 3415 N. Southport Ave.
- Lululemon Athletica is always providing free classes at their five chicago locations. Check the calendar for the store closest to you for days and times: Michigan Avenue, Rush Street, Bucktown, Halsted or Southport.
- New UIC-area studio YogaBliss has a free class at 11am on Sunday, September 9 to celebrate Yoga Aid. With the spirit of competition, Yoga Aid is raising funds for various world charities including Africa Yoga Project and Yoga Across America. Donations are encouraged! 1344 S. Halsted St.
- If you feel like hiking up to Evanston at 8 a.m. on Sunday, September 16, several local studios are teaming together for a free class on the beach at Sheridan Road and Clark Street. In honor of the Third Annual Evanston Yoga Day, they’ll also have raffles and giveaways from Lululemon and I Love Yoga.
- Exhale Spa in the Gold Coast celebrates their Second Annual NamasDAY on Thursday, September 20 with complimentary yoga classes throughout the day and a yoga bash that evening with DJ’s and more giveaways. Check their website as the event gets closer to register. 945 N. State St.
- Bikram Yoga Andersonville hosts Karma Yoga Day on Monday, September 24. For every body in the room, they’ll donate a dollar to Yoga Gives Back. The second class of the day is always free, so push karma a little further by sticking around for a second class. 5715 N. Clark St.
- Pure Wellness in Lincoln Park invites one and all to their first Wellness Expo on Saturday, September 29 from 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. The open house will have product samples, refreshments and more. 2536 N. Halsted.