Last Minute Plans: Art That Takes It To The Streets
By Julia Weeman in Arts & Entertainment on Oct 12, 2012 7:00PM
We're expecting something inflatable from Claire Ashley.2012, "Ruddy Udder Dance" at ACRE Residency, Steuben, WI
Out of Site, a series of 12 unexpected encounters of performance art in public spaces in Wicker Park and Bucktown, comes to a close today. Happy Collaborationists is curating the finale, which features artists Claire Ashley, EJ Hill, Erik Peterson, Jesus Mejia & Ruth, and Shane Ward. The event will take place from 5-7 p.m. tonight.
The performances will occur simultaneously, starting at the edges of the Wicker Park-Bucktown neighborhood and activating every corner. The plan has the artists crossing paths at Milwaukee, Damen and North Avenues at 6 p.m. As the series is largely about the "moment of surprise" that happens when you encounter public art on the street, we can't tell you exactly what to expect, but we're really excited about tonight.
All performances start at 5 p.m. and here's where to look out for the artists:
- EJ Hill: starts at Western and Milwaukee heading Southeast to Milwaukee and Ashland
- Shane Ward: starts at Milwaukee and Ashland heading Northwest to Milwaukee and Western
- Claire Ashley: starts at North and Ashland heading West to North and Western
- Jesus Mejia & Ruth: starts at Damen and Division heading North to Damen and Webster
- Erik Peterson: starts at Damen and Webster heading South to Damen and Division
Another show we're excited about today is the final performance in Industry of the Ordinary's Young Performers series at the Chicago Cultural Center. Caitlin Ryan will be performing for 24 hours in the window of the Randolph Street. entrance, starting at noon today. If you're in the area, stop by and watch her throw herself an actual pity party, with balloons, raw cookie dough, and plenty of tears. The Chicago Cultural Center is located at 78 E. Washington St. in the Loop.