Deb Mell Files For Father's City Council Seat
By Chuck Sudo in News on Jul 12, 2013 1:30PM
Mayor Emanuel, meanwhile, announced a 33rd Ward candidate screening committee Thursday. The five-member panel will be charged with reviewing the applications to replace Dick Mell and submit a list of finalists to the mayor, who will then name Dick Mell's replacement and have the new alderman seated in time for the next City Council meeting July 24.
The five members of the screening committee are:
- Felicia Davis, Executive Director, Mayor’s Office of Public Engagement
- John Friedmann, Vice President, North River Commission, Longtime 33rd Ward Resident
- Michelle Harris, City Council President Pro Tempore
- Iliamar Isaac, Community Activist
- Ricardo Trujillo, Principal, Roosevelt High School
Emanuel said in a statement announcing the screening committee, “I am confident the committee members will commit themselves to their responsibility and offer a strong group of candidates for the position. This method ensures the residents of the 33rd ward are represented by the best possible candidate.”
The mayor has promised a transparent screening process and, while he's touted Deb Mell's qualifications, he said she is neither qualified for nor excluded from the job because of her surname.
Emanuel's press office said a list of candidates would be made public once their qualifications have been vetted.