Explosion At Northside College Prep Injures 4
By Chuck Sudo in News on Feb 19, 2014 6:30PM
An explosion in a chemistry lab at Northside College Prep high school Wednesday morning resulted in injuries to four students. One of the students was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center in serious-to-critical condition with facial burns.
The incident occurred around 10:30 a.m. The students were believed to be heating hot chocolate with a gas burner when the explosion occurred. Two of those injured were in fair condition at Swedish Covenant Hospital and the other student was in good condition at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center.
CBS 2 spoke with Spencer Tweedy (yes, Jeff's son) who said students heard fire alarms and assumed it was a drill before realizing it was not. Students were allowed back in Northside at 11:15 a.m.
4 students heating hot chocolate burned in Northside Prep fire [Sun-Times]