Introducing The French Toast Grilled Cheese
By Erika Kubick in Food on Apr 15, 2014 4:00PM
French Toast, meet Grilled Cheese. Grilled Cheese, meet French Toast.
April is Grilled Cheese Month and while we tend to think the national insert-trend-here month is rather petty, we can't deny our utter fascination with the melted glory that is a grilled cheese sandwich. So we asked ourselves, “How can we eat grilled cheese for breakfast?”
Introducing the Grilled French Cheese Toast. Melty, ooey, rich and gooey all topped with a luscious fried egg. It will knock your slippers off and power wash your hangover away. This is what you’ve been missing in life.
You will need:
- 2 thick slices sourdough bread, slightly stale
- 1 egg, room temp
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon milk, room temp
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 ounces cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- A fried egg to garnish (optional)
- Preheat your skillet. Whisk together the egg, mustard and milk. Add a pinch of salt. Thoroughly soak the sourdough bread in the mixture.
- Melt the butter in the skillet. Turn heat up to medium low. Add the bread to the skillet and toast until set and golden, about 5-10 minutes depending on thickness.
- Flip the toast and cover each crisp side with an ounce of cheese. Cover and allow to melt. This will take anywhere from 5-10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the cheese. Serve topped with a fried egg, if desired.