Archdiocese Makes Files On Sex Abuse Cases Public
By Chuck Sudo in News on Nov 6, 2014 4:00PM
Walter Dulian cuts grass across from Archdiocese of Chicago's St. Gertrude Church September 27, 2005 in Franklin Park, Illinois. The Archdiocese of Chicago has removed 11 priests from their positions in various Chicago and suburban locations after sexual misconduct allegations involving them were brought to light. One of the eleven priests removed from service, Rev. Raymond Skriba, served at this church. (Photo by Tim Boyle/Getty Images)
In one of his final acts as the leader of the Archdiocese of Chicago, Cardinal Francis George announced the public release of over 15,000 internal files pertaining to sex abuse allegations against 36 Archdiocesan priests.
George previously ordered the release of more documents in January related to 30 other priests and covers all but two priests who still have ongoing processes that do not permit the release of files. All of the priests listed are out of the ministry—14 are dead—and 92 percent of the incidents revealed in the documents happened prior to 1988.
George said the release of the files is proof of the Archdiocese’s commitment to transparency regarding the Catholic Church’s sex abuse scandal. “We cannot change the past but we hope we can rebuild trust through honest and open dialogue,” George said. “Child abuse is a crime and a sin. The Archdiocese of Chicago is concerned first and foremost with bringing healing to abuse victims.”
View the Archdiocese’s documents here.