CTA Says Goodbye To The 2400-Series Rail Cars
By Chuck Sudo in News on Jan 20, 2015 8:30PM
With their traverse-style seating, return to sliding doors and bicentennial trim, Chicago Transit Authority’s 2400-series rail cars proved popular with riders when they first debuted in 1976. CTA also got more than their money’s worth from the 200 cars they ordered from Boeing-Vertol, as they were only phased out of use once CTA began adding the Bombardier 5000-series rail cars to its fleet.
Over the next four decades the 2400-series cars provided thousands upon thousands of rides and arguably as many “hobo corner surprises” while the last of the cars were eventually pulled from the Orange and Brown lines. To commemorate their service, CTA is saying C-YA to the 2400 series cars with a fanfare-studded “final ride” Wednesday, Jan. 21. A train of eight 2400-series cars will roll along the tracks in the Loop, on the Brown Line, the North Side Red Line and South Side Green Line, to and from the Ashland/63rd Street station. The cars will be decorated in their original bicentennial detail, follow their original routes and contain interior map and advertising cards from the period when they first launched. CTA also plans on having shuttle bus service to pick up riders to board the trains in the Loop at Washington and Wells.
Here is the full schedule. (All times are estimated.)
The train will pick up passengers at about 10:20 a.m. at Washington/Wells (Outer Loop/Brown Line side), make two trips around the Loop, then drop off its passengers back at Washington/Wells around 10:50 a.m. No intermediate stops are scheduled for this ceremonial trip.
Brown Line (All Stop Train)
• 11:55 a.m. - Depart Kimball (to Loop)
• 12:16 p.m. - Depart Fullerton (to Loop)
• 12:30 p.m. - Depart Washington/Wells (to Kimball)
• 12:35 p.m. - Depart Adams/Wabash (to Kimball)
• 12:40 p.m. - Depart Clark/Lake (to Kimball)
• 12:56 p.m. - Depart Fullerton (to Kimball)
• 1:17 p.m. - Arrive Kimball
North/South Route (Red and Green Lines)
The train will make all stops along the Red Line thru Fullerton, the Brown Line thru Merchandise Mart, and then the Green Line from Clark/Lake thru Ashland/63rd.
• 2:25 p.m. - Depart Howard (toward downtown, via Red Line)
• 2:42 p.m. - Depart Wilson (toward downtown, via Red Line)
• 2:52 p.m. - Depart Fullerton (toward Loop, via Purple Line routing)
• 3:06 p.m. - Depart Merchandise Mart (toward Loop, via Purple Line routing)
• 3:08 p.m. - Depart Clark/Lake (toward Ashland/63rd, via Green Line)
• 3:15 p.m. - Depart Roosevelt (toward Ashland/63rd, via Green Line)
• 3:20 p.m. - Depart 35th-Bronzeville-IIT (toward Ashland/63rd, via Green Line)
• 3:40 p.m. - Arrive Ashland/63rd
The train will then head back north for a final run, including going through the State Street subway like on its original route.
• 3:50 p.m. - Depart Ashland/63rd (toward downtown, via Green Line)
• 3:59 p.m. - Depart Garfield (toward downtown, via Green Line)
• 4:08 p.m. - Depart 35th-Bronzeville-IIT (toward downtown, then via Red Line)
• 4:12 p.m. - Train routes into Red Line subway via old incline near 13th St.
• 4:15 p.m. - Depart Roosevelt subway station (toward Howard, via Red Line)
• 4:25 p.m. - Depart Clark/Division (toward Howard, via Red Line)
• 4:32 p.m. - Depart Fullerton (toward Howard, via Red Line)
• 4:45 p.m. - Depart Wilson (toward Howard, via Red Line)
• 5 p.m. - Arrive Howard