Chicago Police Continue To Patrol In Pairs After Baton Rouge Attack
By Stephen Gossett in News on Jul 18, 2016 2:59PM
By Aaron Cynic/Chicagoist
Chicago police officers will continue to work in pairs after three officers were fatally shot and three others were wounded on Sunday morning in Baton Rouge, LA, according to a police statement.
The directive was previously instated on July 8 in the wake of the Dallas sniper attack that killed five officers.
A statement sent to Chicagoist said there is currently “no threat to Chicago,” but officers continue to “patrol in pairs and in uniform and remain vigilant.”
"Our thoughts and deepest condolences are with the Baton Rouge Police Department and the families of the slain officers. CPD has reached out to offer any support and police resources that could possibly assist.,” the release also read. “We ask that everyone take a moment to pray for the Baton Rouge community during this difficult time.”
Police said in a statement earlier this month that the pairs measure intends to “increase visibility and strengthen officer safety.”
Mayor Rahm Emanuel released a statement on Sunday calling for unity.
Statement from Mayor Emanuel on Baton Rouge pic.twitter.com/Fz4izG4PQJ— ChicagosMayor (@ChicagosMayor) July 17, 2016
The attack in Baton Rouge is the latest violent act in a summer that has seen tensions rise between police, the black community and activists. Alton Sterling, in Baton Rouge, and Philando Castile, in St. Paul, MN, were both fatally shot by police, sparking protests nationwide (including in Chicago).