The Chicagoist will be launching later but in the meantime please enjoy our archives.

Potentially Marijuana-Laced Gummies Send 14 Naperville HS Students To Hospital

By Rachel Cromidas in News on Dec 7, 2016 7:12PM

Gummies via Shutterstock

A group of Naperville students were sent to the hospital Tuesday after eating gummy bears that some believe were laced with marijuana, according to CBS.

The Naperville Police Department said in a statement posted on Facebook that the candy "made the students both uncomfortable and sick, and as a precaution, some have been transported to a local hospital to receive medical attention."

The Naperville School District said in a separate statement posted online that 14 students in total were affected, and 12 were treated by doctors for symptoms that included increased heart rate, dizziness and dry mouth.

As of Tuesday afternoon, "Two students are in stable condition and are undergoing evaluation, while 11 have been treated and released," according to the school district. "We encourage all parents to have conversations with their children about making healthy choices. Our community is fortunate to have a number of resources available through school and other community partners to support the wellbeing of students. We continue to review the specifics of the situation and will address it appropriately. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your school's principal."

A doctor at Edward Hospital, where the students were treated, told CBS that a "non-toxic intoxicant" was the most likely culprit, particularly because the students all said they had eaten just one gummy each. "Why would you want to have just one—unless you know there's something else in the gummy bear?" Dr. Daryl Wilson said to WBBM.