Diner Grill, Destroyed By Christmas Eve Fire, To Reopen In March

By Rachel Cromidas in Food on Jan 3, 2017 10:10PM

DinerGrill.jpg
Photo via Facebook.

Roscoe Village's beloved Diner Grill shuttered after a Christmas Eve fire, but the Irving Park Road restaurant is promising to reopen in March.

A dirty linen appeared to have combusted, causing the fire, according to a Fire Department assessment, as owner Arnold DeMar explained to the Tribune. The diner is usually open 24 hours a day but was closed on Christmas. The back dining room of the historic spot suffered the most damage in the fire, but it will be restored, according to DeMar.

The diner has been a neighborhood mainstay since 1937, and has been in DeMar's family since 1946. The Diner Grill is known for its "Slinger," a combination of hash browns, burger patties, onions, chili, eggs and cheese that will surely be missed by lovers of greasy spoon diner fare.