The Chicagoist will be launching later but in the meantime please enjoy our archives.

Chicago Cop Charged With Sexually Assaulting A Teen, Held On $75K Bond

By Stephen Gossett in News on Jan 16, 2017 2:40PM

Chicago Police Department
A Chicago police officer has been charged with sexual assault of a minor, police and prosecutors said over the weekend.

Eugene Ciardullo, 51, was arrested at his Far Southwest Side home, on Sunday. According to news reports, prosecutors said the officer started communicating through social media with a student who attended the same school where Ciardullo worked part-time as a security guard. The girl was 16 at the time. He started a “sexual relationship” with the victim when she was 17, she told police.

Ciardullo faces one felony count of criminal sexual assault of a victim 13-17 years of age. He was ordered held on $75,000 bond on Sunday.

The Chicago Police Department is also conducting its own internal probe into the allegations, according to CPD Communications Director Anthony Guglielmi. "The Chicago Police Department is currently also investigating this incident internally and administratively,” Guglielmi said in a statement. “We remain committed to the highest levels of accountability for our officers and members and will not tolerate any activity or actions that undermine the integrity of the hard working men and women of our Department.”

The Chicago Public Schools confirmed in a statement that Ciardullo was terminated in December after allegations were made:

"A part-time security officer at the Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences was removed from his position in December in response to serious allegations, and the individual is no longer an employee of Chicago Public Schools. The school responded promptly and followed proper protocols after it became aware of the allegations, and CPS is cooperating with law enforcement as it investigates the matter."

The Tribune notes that some 40 complaints were lodged against Ciardullo during his 21 years on the force, including an excessive force grievance, but only two resulted in reprimands. He was suspended for 10 days in 2001 over excessive force and two days in 2008 for a weapon/uniform-related violation.