Urban Outfitters Pulls T-Shirt Featuring Chicago Gang's Symbol
By Samantha Abernethy in News on Jul 19, 2013 7:00PM
"What the fork is up?!" Indeed.
Urban Outfitters has decided to stop selling a t-shirt featuring a symbol that closely resembles the pitchfork symbol associated with the Gangster Disciples street gang in Chicago. Salon on Wednesday pointed out the similarity between the company's "Vanguard Fork" t-shirt and the pitchfork symbol used by the Gangster Disciples. When the Huffington Post reached out to Urban Outfitters, the hip clothing merchant said it will discontinue the item pictured above.
The Gangster Disciples is one of the largest and most dangerous gangs in Chicago. Sen. Mark Kirk (R-IL) recently suggested rounding up all 18,000 known members and tossing them in jail. Two reputed members have been arrested in connection to the murder of Hadiya Pendleton. A recent Tribune editorial pointed out the gang is "believed to account for a significant fraction of Chicago homicides."
The pitchfork is one of a few symbols used by the Gangster Disciples. It is seen in the gang emblem, seen at right, and the gang's common hand symbol resembles a pitchfork.
So what's the deal with this t-shirt? The details in the description of the shirt:
What the fork is up?! This 100% cotton tee from Blackstone, that's what! A perfectly soft tee topped with a "Fork" graphic, and complete with a banded crewneck.
Blackstone? As in Black P Stone Nation? Let's hope not.
- Bobby Rush: Mark Kirk's Mass Gang Arrest Proposal An 'Elitist White Boy Solution'
- Rick Ross Pretends He’s Not Scared Of Gangster Disciples Rick Ross Pretends He’s Not Scared Of Gangster Disciples
- Rick Ross Crashes Car Into Building After Being Shot At 20 Times
- Chicago City Clerk Investigating Whether Winning City Sticker Entry Contains Gang Symbolism
- Two Reputed Gang Members Charged With Murder Of Hadiya Pendleton