The Chicagoist will be launching later but in the meantime please enjoy our archives.

Police Could Be Close To Finding Killer Of Toddler Found In Garfield Park Lagoon

By Kate Shepherd in News on Nov 11, 2015 10:57PM


Chicago police vowed to catch the person who dismembered a toddler and disposed of the pieces in the Garfield Park lagoon and now they're pursuing a person of interest in the case.

CPD is looking to question an unidentified person of interest in connection with the death of 2-year-old Kyrian Knox, whose body parts were discovered in the lagoon in September, according to the Sun-Times.

Authorities announced last week that DNA extracted from the body parts matched Knox's mother, Lanisha Knox. The Rockford boy was last seen in mid-August but wasn't reported missing for a few weeks.

Lanisha Knox and her roommate, Shakela Harris, were set to move to Iowa for new jobs this summer and the roommate offered to have her father, Kamel Harris, watch Kyrian Knox and her own son while they were out of town, according to ABC7.

The boy had been in the roommate's parents care for less than 10 days when they brought him to Chicago on Aug. 28, Knox's family told ABC7.

"We know that they took him from Rockford, brought him to Chicago. And whatever they did to him, it's a crime scene somewhere," his grandmother Cameshia Harris told ABC7. "It's not whoever did it. We know who did it. It's just a matter of time before they're locked up."

Kamel Harris' live-in girlfriend Danyelle Foggs lost custody of two of her children when Knox was reported missing on Sept. 17, according to the Rockford Register Star. They've since broken up.

He was arrested shortly afterwards and put in jail for more than a month on a burglary charge. He claims that people he did not know visited his house in late August and asked for Kyrian Knox, who he handed over to them after being given permission by Lanisha Harris via phone.

"The little boy ran to him and was all happy," Harris said to the Register Star.

Investigators do not think Knox was abducted, the Sun-Times reported.